Resetting Cursor in Bing Maps – Support IE

August 10, 2015

I was having trouble resetting my Bing Maps implementation cursor back from a cross-hair (used when plotting a pin) to the default grab cursor.

I found that a slightly modified cursor url did the trick:

Old – _map.getRootElement().style.cursor =’url(https://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/v7.0/7.0.20150720111303.14/cursors/grabbing.cur) 10 9, move’;

New – _map.getRootElement().style.cursor =’url(https://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/v7.0/7.0.20150720111303.14/cursors/grab.cur), move’;


TagIt

April 2, 2015

TagIt! I have officially wrote the beginning of my first jQuery plugin.

I have been working on a much larger application and needed a lightweight tagging plugin for jQuery. I looked around but couldn’t find one that fit my needs. Lightweight, auto-complete, handles key/value pairs. I really wanted something that I could send some auto-complete values to that not only had a value, but a key.

I decided to take the plunge… and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The project is open-source and I hope someone can get some use out of it.
Your feedback is always welcomed.

Check out a demo on my website.


Formatting Javascript Date with Month Name

February 16, 2015

Oh the limitations of javascript… So I needed a way to produce a date/time string that would match the way I format my date/time strings in C# (MMMM dd, yyyy hh:mm:ss tt). As most know, javascript isn’t very nice when it comes to working with dates/times. My project had the added benefit of some special requirements. jQuery could be used, but no plug-ins are allowed.

After doing plenty of searching and posing a question on StackOverflow, I came up with this function. I sure wish the function could be shorter…


function getFormattedDateTime(dateTimeToFormat) {
dateTimeToFormat = new Date(dateTimeToFormat);

var zeroPad = function (val) {
return (val <= 9 ? '0' + val : '' + val);
};

var month = dateTimeToFormat.toLocaleString('en-us', {month: "long"});
var day = dateTimeToFormat.getDate();
var year = dateTimeToFormat.getFullYear();

var hour = ((dateTimeToFormat.getHours() + 11) % 12 + 1);
var minutes = dateTimeToFormat.getMinutes();
var seconds = dateTimeToFormat.getSeconds();
var suffix = (hour <= 12) ? 'AM' : 'PM';

return month + ' ' + zeroPad(day) + ', ' + year + ' ' + zeroPad(hour) + ':' + zeroPad(minutes) + ':' + zeroPad(seconds) + ' ' + suffix;
}

You can play with this function in action on JSFiddle


SSRS Expansion Icon Reversed

November 20, 2014

As I was creating a report in SSRS, I was adding my group fields and upon previewing the report noticed that my expansion icon was reversed.

When the child elements below the header were displayed a plus(+) symbol appeared and when the child elements were hidden a minus(-) symbol was shown.

After spending a lot of time looking at the options for the group fields and text boxes that contain the group fields, I noticed a property called “InitialToggleState”. Once I switched this property to true, the reversed expansion icon started working normally again.


Fiddler Only Log Specific Host(s)

September 11, 2014

Fiddler2 can be an amazing web traffic diagnostic tool, but often times it records way too many requests. It will even pop in random web requests from processes running on your machine. This can be solved with the filters option. You can limit the results to a specific host, process, etc. In the screenshot below I detail how to restrict Fiddler2 to only the hostname http://www.google.com.

Capture

1. Make sure to check Use Filters

2. Chose the Show only the following Hosts dropdown option

3. Type in the name of the host you would like to view (ex: http://www.google.com)


AdMob SDK For Windows 8 – Incompatible Assembly Error

September 6, 2014

I was recently working on my Windows Phone 8 App for Fuelizer and I came across the following error when I tried to import the AdMob SDK:

A reference to a higher version or incompatible assembly cannot be added to the project.

error

After spending almost an hour trying to determine what versions were incompatible, the solution was much easier that anticipated. To resolve this issue you simply need to unblock the assembly. The assembly became blocked since it was zipped up. After unblocking the assembly as shown below, I was able to add the reference to GoogleAds.dll successfully.

unblock